We are on a mission to help students who learn and think differently to navigate challenges in education and reach their potential. We were founded by two study needs assessors, bringing unique insight into the unmet needs of students with specialist learning requirements.
Our first product, ‘Booost’, is a time management, study advice and mental health support tool, built as a cross-platform Flutter app with Laravel-based API and CMS. It is designed specifically for students with executive function and mental health challenges, and is available through the Disabled Students’ Allowance, a government-funded initiative for additional study-related costs incurred due to studying as a disabled student. Since launching in October 2021, Booost has already exceeded expected uptake and received extensive positive feedback.
We are currently working on a new product to launch into the same market (details are Top Secret!).
We want to make a difference in the lives of students who think and learn differently, by building considered, insight-driven products that take advantage of the latest technologies.
We are looking for an experienced senior PHP developer to lead on the backend development of new and existing products. You will be helping to define technical architecture and leading API development for new products, working in partnership with the UX designer and senior application engineer.
You will support any maintenance and upgrades for existing products, helping to scope new features, identify areas for improvement and plan development cycles.
We are looking for someone who is excited about being part of a start-up, helping to define standards, establish processes and grow the team over time. Our goal is to use our technical skills to make a real difference, and we are looking for someone who shares this ambition!
Essential skills & experience
If you meet most, but not all of the criteria below, still apply!
- Commercial experience creating applications with PHP
- Expert at Laravel REST API development
- Experience with frontend Laravel development
- Knowledge of AWS RDS and Aurora
- Minimum 5 years experience
- Great communications skills, both written and verbal
- Self-motivated and enjoys a start-up environment
- Good leadership skills and ability to speak with stakeholders of all levels
Additional desirable skills
The following would be really great to have, but are not essential for the role.
- Solid understanding of Cloud infrastructure, AWS
- Understanding of Git and trunk-based development
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Hands-on experience with containerisation and related technologies, like Docker
- Knowledge of Stoplight, OAS3 or similar tools for API specification and documentation
Hours & location
This is a full-time, 100% remote position, and we are open to any discussions about flexible working hours.
- Competitive salary
- Fully remote working within the UK
- Flexible working (open to discussions)
- Hardware & tech setup allowance
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Company pension
- Volunteer days
- The chance to work on new technologies
- Learn new skills and build on your experience
- Working for an exciting start up with a mission to help students with learning disabilities